Monday, November 3, 2008

Hopping on the band wagon

Well I've been keeping up with some of my old friends, roommates, companions via their blogs and I decided it would be nice of me to do the same for them. I also have enjoyed reading my wife's blog with regards to our daughter and I discovered I may have the inner workings of a blog junkie. Not to mention since she redid her background I am no longer in her profile pic. The most compelling reason I had for doing this is that it is a way to keep a journal of sorts and I don't have to write by hand. You see, I have terrible penmanship. It started young, being the first born overachiever that I am, I received impeccable grades in my first few years of grade school. My report cards would be covered in "E"s (for excellent) accept for the dreaded penmanship category which often dropped 2 or 3 grades down to the dreaded "NI" Needs improvement. At first I was disheartened (lets face it being the sensitive kid I was I probably bawled) but soon I learned to accept my less than perfect ability to write the English language. Luckily by third grade computers were beginning to make a serious debut onto the education scene and I was never really asked to write cursive since the first time I learned it. (How do you make the z?) Since then I managed to makes it through a BA and Masters Thesis using my specialized 5 finger typing system and haven't had to write by hand much. This in addition to having had jobs where I was forced to sign my name many times a day has caused a serious decline in my handwriting. In fact, my penmanship is probably far worse than when it was in grade school. So this blog I hope will help me assuage the guilt I have of being a trained Historian (hey stop laughing) that doesn't keep a personal history.

No comments: